By: Katie Ginsberg
Not fully convinced an internship is right for you? Here are 10 reasons why it is a vital step in your future:
- Gain hands-on experience: Interning presents helpful skills and lessons that cannot be learned in the classroom.
- Learn more about your industry: Internships provide a snapshot of your typical day and present the different types of projects you would be working on.
- Learn more about your interests: Through this experience, you will learn both your likes and dislikes, which will help you to figure out what career you truly want to pursue.
- Realize your strengths and weaknesses: You will be working on a variety of projects that will highlight your strengths and the areas in need of improvement.
- Make valuable connections: Effective networking is key these days! The relationships you make with fellow employees can significantly help you when applying for jobs.
- Gain confidence: There’s no denying that you will be presented with stressful situations, but through this experience you will gain confidence in dealing with problems and working with professionals.
- Learn about professionalism in the workplace: Your internship will teach you how to appropriately behave in the working environment.
- Improve your social skills: Whether it’s during the interviewing process or simple daily interactions, you will improve your communication skills with professionals.
- Learn about the company culture: Each company has its own personality, behavior and core values. You will realize if the company is the right fit for you, or what aspects to look out for in future company searches.
- Get one step closer to a job offer! You never know – your internship could lead to a future position at the company. So, go apply, work hard and have fun!